Question
Posted by: unsure | 2010-04-25

what to do

I have been married just over a yr...My husband and i are both from different races. he is white Im asian. we dated for a few yrs travellled together and things have been grt.We have a gorgeous son together...

About 2 months ago i was involved in a smash &  grab. this incident really traumatised me. to date i have not seen a counsellor.
Beginning of this week I suffered a miscarriage &  I am now so depressed its affecting my relationship withmy husband &  son.

The problem is my husband has not even morned the loss of our child. he just carries onas if nothing has happened and that what happened is not affecting me.

I was forced to join a church cos that is his culture. his best friend joined a mormon church an now he is forcing me to join. i have nothing against this place its just that ever since i decided to go there bad things have started happenein to me.
I have begun to resent and almost hate myhusband cos of this...I dont knowwhat to do...

Please help, its as if i losing my family...

Depression is a common problem, anyway, and the more so after the unpleasant experiences you have had. You deserve a proper assessment of your possible depression, preferably from a proper specialist psychiatrist, and advice on treatment, which may include medication and CBT style counselling.

As for your husband, some men don't react so much to a miscarriage, as its a less personal thing for them ; and many men just don't have much skill at showing their emotions and were brought up to not reveal them.

It is NOT a nomal feature of white culture to compel a wife to join her husband's church - it may be more an aspect of Mormon culture.

See to yourself first, and get proper expert attention to your depression ; then try to convince him to join you in marriage counselling to work on all the problematic issues between you

1