Posted by: Phoebe | 2009-04-08

What to do?

I have two puppies - 5 months old - and they have been sleeping outside for weeks now and are usually fine in their kennel with all their bedding. But lately they keep waking up at random times (this mornign from 3.30am onwards) and playing and barking and scratching at the door to get in. It' s the high pitched barking that keeps us awake and we' re worried our neighbours will start complaining.
I don' t know why they do this as we take them for a long walk in the evening on the beach and try keep them awake when we get home so they sleep through but it' s not working anymore.
Any advice?
Is this just a stage? is there any way to make it easier cause the lack of sleep is starting to kill us!

Dear Phoebe

Try a DAP diffuser plugged into the kennel outside.

Posted by: kirsten | 2009-04-12

hi, I know how frustrating it is when your dogs bark and play at night. You are obviously concerned about this, why else would you be writing for help? - hence very considerate for your neighbours. You need to remember that they are puppies - any small baby is going to want attention at some stage and do anything to get it.

There are a couple of things you could try:
Like Cybervet suggested, The DAP is a good option - its a Dog Appeasing Pheromone which helps puppies adjust to new surroundings, fear, stress etc.

Keeping them inside and housetraining would help - but you don' t say what kind of puppies they are, and the reason you have them. Nor if putting them inside is at all feasible. If you would like to try keeping them inside but are worried about the mess at first, you can get puppy training pads which are treated to attract puppies to them should they need to relieve themselves whilst inside.

you need to ensure that they have lots of toys - you get activity treat balls that you can stuff treats in, you get kongs that you can stuff with peanut butter - basically ensure that they have toys that will keep them occupied when they wake up. Have a toy box that you put all their toys into before going to sleep, they can then unpack it later on..

I think they are a little young for anti-bark units, but that may be something to consider should other options not work out now.

If you don' t have any luck, phone a behavourist - its better to correct a behaviour now than try and correct it later on.

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Jakes | 2009-04-09

Sorry 2 say this but people who let their dogs bark at night r very inconsiderate. From puppy days we stopped ours barking 4 nothing + housetrained them so they can sleep in the house. Now when they do bark we know somebody' s there. A little time + effort is all that U need. If we could do it then so can every other dog owner.

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Bully | 2009-04-09

One solution is to get a Bullmastiff. They DON' T bark 4 nothing. If U know their history then you' ll understand why the r like that. Regards

Reply to Bully
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-08

Let them sleep inside.

And consider yourself lucky I' m not your neighbour - I' d have complained on the second night already - most municipalities have noise bye-laws and this would definitely fall under those. There is nothing more annoying - as you have discovered for yourselves - than dogs yapping endlessly when you' re trying to sleep...

If you need any further incentive to keep the dogs inside, read this: www followed by,,3-975_2497169,00.html

Reply to Chill