Question
Posted by: Empty | 2008/06/18

What-to-do?

Hi there Doc,

Just plain and simple:

I have been struggling with bulimia since age 15, I am now 31, married ect.

I am now fed-up with the silly "illness" and I do not know how to stop. My husband knows about it, but ignores the whole issue and I am too embarressed to look for help anywhere else, it was hard enough to tell him......

I have now given-up thinz, since it now "behind-the-counter", and now the purging is worse because I have cravings all the time..... Is there anything else I can do to help myself??

I do not have the money or the time or the courage to get a shrink......

ADVICE please?

Well done on giving up the Thinz, which ought not to be on the market, and I'm delighted that all preparation s with the nasty drug used in it, now require prescriptions. Now, there are shrinks in government hospitals and clinics, and at medical schools who can help you, so lack of funds need not be an excuse. And no need to be nervous --- you CAN gain control over this dangerous and unpleasant disorder, but MUST have appropriate expert help to do so efficiently. No need for courage --- shrinks are very understanding, and interested on working out how to help, rather than wasting time being too critical !