Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012/07/05

What should I weigh to be healthy

Hi Doc,

I have calculated my BMI on random internet sites, but not sure if the weight they recommend for me to be healthy is possible.
I am 31 years old, 1.71m tall and have a big bone structure (e.g. I wear a size 8 - 9 shoe)
I currently weigh 76 kg''s and already my sternum, clavical and hip bones stick out.
What would you recommend that I weigh to be healthy....?

This is all so new to me because I have always been overweight and these bones I see are very unusual for me... maybe the bones sticking out are normal?

Dear Angela
I think it is important for you to keep in mind that the BMI is a guideline for body weight, particularly when trying to assess someone's weight without being able to use other more sophisticated techniques (e.g. skinfold thickness measurements, etc). In general, the ranges used for the BMI are: less than 18 = underweight, possible tendency to anorexia; 18-25 = normal range; 25-30 = overweight; 30+ = obesity; 40+ = morbid obesity. Your current BMI = 26, which would theoretically be above the upper level of normal. To achieve a BMI within the normal range of say 25, you would need to weigh 73 kg. One problem associated with weightloss is that we cannot determine where in the body an individual will lose weight. So some of your bones may be sticking out before you reach the upper normal level. You don't mention if there is any area of your body that is still harbouring fat (e.g. the buttocks or breasts seeing that you hips seem to be very thin)? The most important thing is that you are happy with your body. If you are, then stick to your present weight and enjoy the feeling that you have obviously lost a lot of weight.

1

Dear Angela