Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-07-14

What should i do?

Hello,

I have been working for my current company for 4 years and was hired as a receptionist(this is the postion still shown on my payslip after it was discussed to be changed) Since starting to work here the company has grown and I have taken on ALOT more work especially from the begining of this year. I am now actually doing 80% of my managers work. I have spoken to my manager about an increase about the extra work that I am doing or even commission on the sales that I am doing as this brings in alot of money for the company and all the other sales people get commission. But he is just not taking me seriously at all, He just says they wont give you an increase until january(because this is when the increases happen but then it will just be the average yearly increase) Which i feel is unacceptable because firstly all the extra work i am doing is now for free and secondly my increase will not be adjusted according to my new work load because the head office are not aware of all the extra work I do.

Do i have rights in this situation to go over and above my manager and approach someone in the head office about this?I dont think we have a HR department even though we are not a small company.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: What should I do

It is suggested that you do go to someone over and above your manager in Head Office so they can assess whether your workload is too high.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-15

If you have spoken reasonably to your manager about it and he''s not spoken to his manager, then it is time to speak with his manager yourself.
Gather your information together and make an appointment.

If they are completely unwilling to pay you fairly for the work you do, its time to move on. Start looking for jobs in the paper, start sending your CV to agencies and so on.

Even if your company does have an HR department, they might just be an admin HR department and therefore not really in a position to help.

If your manager has discussed this with his manager, then you will have this explained to you. IF he hasn''t, he will be upset wtih you for going over his head, but it will show him that you aren''t prepared to be taken advantage of.

Unfortunately when your job evolves over time you don''t generally get recognition for htis - only for when you actually apply for promotions and get those.
The longer you stay with the company, the more you become a part of the furnitue and the more gets loaded on your plate and you are expected just to shut your mouth and do the work of 4 people for less pay than your colleagues who are doing a quarter of the work you do.

Remember that it is unlikely you are doing 80% of your managers work, and also you are not making decisions on that level, so suggest you leave that out of your discussion, just make notes of the higher level work you are doing, the increase in volume and the change in type of work and the previous discussions your manager has had about your job title change and the change not being officially recognised. Ask why you weren''t given a letter confirming it.

Reply to Purple