Posted by: anon | 2008-11-14

what should i do

i get paid R2750.00 per month. I am working in a company where i do admin work. I know office hours are from 8 - 4 with an hour lunch. i dnt take a lunch and sit in the office the whole day as i do all admin work including answering the phone. My employer 1st said my hours are from 8 - 4 but, recently he has been saying i must start either at 7 - 4 or 7.30 - 4. He also has no respect in his talking. I tried to talk to him but no help. He still says the sme about the time issue. What can i do, Can i take him up to CCMA with regards to salary and hours of working. PLEASE HELP

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You are entitled to approach the CCMA for a unilateral change in terms of conditions of employment. The Commissioners at the CCMA will help you complete the LRA form 7.11

Posted by: xoxo | 2008-11-17

If you employment contract states working hours are from 8 - 4 and your employer wants to amend it, he has to have your written consent to change your contract. He is not allowed to change this, unless there is an operational requirement based on his decision.

Your lunch, you are entitle to a lunch hour or 30 minutes (per agreement) after 5 hours continous work, however, if you do NOT take lunch, then your employer is not etitled to renumerate you on that. Some companies do pay for their employees lunch hours, others dont. Irrespective, he is not forcing you to work during those hours, you are doing it out of your own free will.

All the above is based on my perception.

Reply to xoxo