Posted by: Taz | 2010-10-27

What should be doing differently?

Hi Fitdoc!

I''ve recently lost about 6kg and would like to lose another 2kg. Ive been toning up in the gym which is working but I cannot shift these last 2 kg. Its just a little spare fat round my bum and tummy. Can you please recommend a cardio programme for me to get rid of it? I am currently doing 45mins of resistance 3x per week and half hour of cardio 3 x per week on the same days. Should I do more cardio and what heart rate should I be running at? Im female and 28 yrs old. Also will it be better if I do interval training as opposed to one long steady pace?

Thank you have a super day x

Hi Taz

Well done so far, you're obviously doing the right things. The last 25% is always the toughest and that's nothing unusual, so don't get too despondent.

Honestly, the most effective thing for that last 25% is diet - you will probably find that you're at a point now where you can train a little harder, but then your body wants more energy, so you eat a little more. And it doesn't take much - slightly larger portions, a bit more to drink, and you end up canceling out the good work done through exercise.

In terms of exercise, I think if you increase the cardio to say 45 minutes on at least 2 of those days, then you'll tilt the balance towards weight loss again. This should be manageable. The interval training idea is also excellent, but I would say be careful about changing too much all at once - maybe build up to 40 minutes, then start doing interval workouts, but only once a week at first.

Then, in conjuction with this, you have to manage the diet, and make sure you don't counter-act your own efforts! When you eat, what you eat, how much you eat, all affect your success, and I really do think that the best investment you can make, if you haven't already, is to see a dietician about this.

Other than this, you're on the right track. Just slight changes, more cardio, and a higher intensity, which you'll get through the interval workouts, should do the trick.

Good luck!

Posted by: Taz | 2010-11-18

Thank you x

Reply to Taz