Question
Posted by: Ziyanda | 2009/12/01

What rights do I have?

I am working as a secretary for a consultants company that has been oparating for three years now.I am the only female with two guys that are Engineers.On April this year they opened onother branch in P.E and during that time I was on maternity leave for three months from April to July.The arrangement was that he was going to pay me the full salary for the three months leave.During my maternity leave on May I did' nt receive my pay and when I called him my boss he told me that he has not forgotten about me and he only deposited the money on the monthend of July and it was the one month salary.

On August I resume at work and he never said anything about my unpaid month salary.On August monthend it became worse that three days passed after monthend and I have n' t got my pay,I dicided to ask him of what was going on when am I suppose to get my salary because I don' nt like the fact that I' m getting my salary late, and the contract that I signed was stating that I will recieve my salary two days before the month ends, I have commitments and what about the May salary that I never got? He appologised saying things were a bit rough but i should expect my salary on the last day of each month which is 30 or 31 and he told me that he was going to give me the whole money on the monthend(ie.September)
On my suprise he put the month salary and only half of the other month salary, he did that for two months.Now he has gone back to his onld ways I hav' nt recieved my salary today and he is not saying anything.

A collegue just told me that he called him last night telling him that he is moving the office to P.E next year they have to move the office equipment to my collegue' s house as he is paying rent for their house and work from there so that next year they all move to P.E. I don' t think the company is having a financial crisis as we are getting more projects than next year.
Where do I stand in all of this? Will I be jobless soon without knowing?He has not said anything to me and I signed a five year contract.Is there anything I should do? What rights do I have?

PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE?

You do not tell me whether in fact the arrangement was ever reduced to writing. If it was reduced to writing it is easy to pursue your payment for the full three months. They cannot just tell you to go. They need to go through a retrenchment exercise if they are going to ask you to leave in circumstances of this nature.

1
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2009/12/11

RE: WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE?

Reply to labour lawyer