Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2010/07/12

What ppoch to get and why does my dog do this?

Hi Cybervet

My mom is 68 and lives with me. Her dog is a cross/maltese 12.5 female. Getting very old now +10 years which has not dampened its enthusiam for life, its ball or terrorising the cat! We are talking about when she goes. This dog adores me but I am a bit tired of picking up the endless poops (OK can live with it), washing her or paying for a groomer. I said to my mom we need a low maintenance dog. She wants a cuddly lap dog. Neither of us want a big dog but we think we should consider this for protection and have it well trained professionally etc. She is afraid because she knows of people whose dogs turned on them. I thought of a jack russel but I know they are naughty and she can''t walk / play with it as much as it may like.
1)What dog do you suggest?
2)The dog we have adores me. I adopted a cat female about 7 about a year ago. They made their peace. But for some reason the cat may come in the front door but not jump out of it or go under the porch security gate. It can go through the window. If the cat does this the dog will jujmp up, chase her and bark furiously, bare its teeth but stop when it gets tooth/fur. All bark and no bite really. The same thing when I play with the cat with a piece of ribbon. She rushes up to the cat. Why does she do this? They sit happily in the lounge with us people but let me play with the cat and its a prob. Not jealously because she does not do it all the time, only at play time. My mother suggested that when the cat bares her claws/teeth in a game the dog thinks that she is hurting me?
The cat mostly ignores her. The dog has never bitten the cat and its remarkable that they two of them oldies both over 7 get along.

Hi Cindy

It is very difficult for me to suggest a breed of dog as there are so may to choose from. What I advise is that you go to a book store and get a book about the different breeds of dogs and their particular characteristics. It will give you detailed infrmation about behaviour, taining ability and maintenance. Alternatively, visit some of the welfare society's and adopt a dog.

I think that the dog is playing games with the cat and that it is probably due to some form of Jealously. Difficult to say.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/12

Hi Cindy

Reply to CyberVet