Question
Posted by: Dean | 2009-08-05

What possible fever/disease is my client suffering?

I' ve just had male 40yr UK client spend 2 weeks Zululand &  Kruger area. He sent me SMS 8days after getting home - VERY sick, Dr' s think Tick Bite Fever, then possibly glandular fever. Had blood tests, not malaria. Now he is in hospital with " raised liver function" . Any clues what it could be, please?

Hallo Dean
Difficult to say without knowing the symptoms but I would definitely test for tick bite fever and hepatitis. They should also draw blood for malaria during a fever peak as you may miss it when drawn otherwise ( the fever peaks when the parasites are discharged into the blood from the liver) They also need to do a malaria smear as the blood test alone may not be sensitive enough. Anthrax is found in Zululand and Sleeping sickness is a remote possibility.