Question
Posted by: X | 2010/04/16

what now?

My alcoholic friend has agreed to go for rehab - at last! She asked me to help her to choose a place and to accompany her on visits to check them out, but hasn''t made any effort to set up appointments.

I did some homework and now know everything that we should know, but there is nothing more that I can do from my side. What should be the next step? I set this week aside to accompany her to interviews as she asked for, but it is now Friday.

I''ve forwarded the info on to her, but she never responded to it. Not sure what else I can do? I''m worried about her and was so excited that she finally agreed to go as she is alienating people around her and has become a risk to herself and to others.

One friend suggested that, if she hadn''t done anything by next week, we all confront her. Enough people are willing to sort out all practical details and there is space at the treatment facilities, so there are really no external factors preventing immediate admission.

Should I just let it go now? I''m scared putting any pressure on her might mean losing her friendship

Expert ImageArchive

Your friend is taking you for a ride. The cheek of asking you accompany her to numerous centres to allegedly check them out. Please.

She's saddled with a life threatening illness and she thinks that she has the luxury to take her time on this issue.

This is not a shopping spree for comfort and Gucci handbags, this is a killer disease.

Your friend suffers like all alcoholics from a sense of entitlement. And everybody around her is playing the game so nicely.

She's holding you hostage and you don't even notice it.

If she doesn't want to go to rehab, walk away from it. You have done more than enough.

Let your dear friend sort out her own rehab arrangements. Taking responsibility of your own recovery is a cornerstone of getting better.

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/04/16

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum