Posted by: Adri | 2009-06-22

What now??

I have lost about 7kg since November 2008 until present. I cut down on carbohydrates, fat and red meat and upped my fruit and veg intake. I have however noticed that my weight has remained more or less the same for the past 3 months.

Why is this happening and how can I address it? I have been playing with the idea of seeking assistance from a dietician or discuss the use of Xenical with my doctor, but I am not sure which option to follow.

Dear Adri
Well done for losing those 7 kg with a sensible approach! You are a **star**. You don't mention how much weight you need to lose, but if you are contemplating the use of Xenical I surmise that you would like to lose quite a lot? Am I correct? This phenomenon of reaching a plateau after initially losing weight nicely, is one of the most frustrating aspects of slimming. I would recommend that you first discuss your problem with a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If she/he also thinks that Xenical would improve your weightloss you can then ask your dr to prescribe it for you. But I would first like a dietitian to assess your situation. One method of stimulating your metabolism and weightloss is to start doing exercise (if possible). 30 min a day of brisk walking, cycling, skipping or some other form of aerobic exercise is ideal.

Posted by: Adri | 2009-06-23

Thanks so much for your response. I do have a substantial amount of weight to loose- about 35kg- but I am focussing on smaller goals at this point. (That way it does not seem so unachievable.) Next stop  The 10kg mark!!

I' ve taken up walking, but it' s difficult to find the time during the week, so I will try to make up over weekends. I' ve a long way to go, but each step takes me closer to my goal! :)

Reply to Adri