Posted by: Iris | 2009-02-10

What now?

Hi there Doc

I have been ttc for more than 3 years now.
My husband had a SA done, and it shows that all is in order on his side.
I have had pap smears, blood tests for hormones, scans etc.
I have a normal 28 day cycle - always on time, and I have never ever skipped a period.
I was due to start my period on 1 February this month, and nothing happened. So on Monday the 2nd, (would have been CD2) I went for a blood test. Came out negative. Blood tested again on Thursday the 5th (would have been CD5), still negative. Took a urine test yesterday - 9 Feb (would have been CD9), negative. So I take it I am definately not pregnant.
The doctor did a sonar on the Thursday (5th) and said that it looks favourable that I could be pregnant. He specifically said that the mucous layer looked thick, the left ovary was slightly larger than the other ovary, which he said could be the ovary that I ovulated from. He also said the womb lining is nice and thick, and saw a very tiny black dot, and couldn' t say if it was in fact the start of a pregnancy or just nothing, but said that all looks like it could be a pregnancy.
Today, 10 February I still haven' t gotten a period.
What do I do Doctor?
I live in the Vaal Triangle, and good doctors are few and far apart. I can' t get to speak to this doctor on the phone as he is always busy, they won' t call me back when he' s not, and I can' t constantly take time off work.
I want to have a baby and thought this was it for me.
What now?

Dear Iris

I would simply put it as follows:
There is no pregnancy if the blood quantitative HCG level is negative. If you do another quantitative blood test and it is still negative I would certainly advise you to visit another doctor as the fluid in the uterus is not necessarily confirmative of pregnancy. I would also strongly advise you to have your fallopian tubes evaluated for patency as this is a very important cause of infertility in your type of situation.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim