Question
Posted by: TK | 2012/02/10

What more to do

My weight is 63, height 1.54, I know that I am overweight and need to lose some kilo''s. I am currently going to the gym 3-4 times a week for an hour, eating healthy and drinking 2 - 2.5 litres of water. I haven''t lost weight yet and I started with my programme a month ago. I don''t know what to do more?

Dear TK
Your current bmi = 26,6 which is above the upper level of normal weight of 25. To get back into the normal weight range with a BMI of 24, you would need to weigh 57 kg, thus a loss of 6 kg. You mention that you are eating healthy food, but have you actually reduced your energy and fat intakes? Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced slimming diet and compare what you are eating to the suggested intakes. If necessary adjust your food intake. It is also important not to overdo your water intake. If you are drinking 2-2.5 litres of water over and above other liquids (tee, milk, fruit juice, etc), then you may be exceeding the 2.5 litres of liquid a day that is recommended for adults. Excessive liquid intake can cause electrolyte imbalances due to excessive losses of potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium via the urine. These electrolyte imbalances can in turn cause water retention which could account for you not losing any weight.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this helps a lot with keeping slimmers motivated and it firms up the body.

1

Dear TK