Posted by: Unimommy | 2011-07-22

What might be wrong

Hi Doc,

My son is 14 months old. On Monday,18/07/2011 he had some kind of a fit at creche. Apparently they could not wake him after his nap and after using cold washcloths on his head, hands and bare feet they could rouse him. After this he had a few episodes of unresponsiveness where his eyes would look dazed, he would bite his tongue and his whole body would go limp. I rushed him to the pediatrician and she did a thorough exam on him and could not find anything wrong. He also vomited 3 times at creche before I collected him. I fetched him 30 mins after they managed to rouse him as that is when they called me. The ped could not find anything wrong as he was responsive and talking. She sent us home. My son then slept for 2 hours at home and when he woke he started vomiting and i called the paed to find out what to do and she advised to give Emetrol (5ml). 3 mins after giving this , he vomited again. They then suggested I bring him back to be admitted. He was admitted to hospital for vomiting and was adminstered a drip because he refused to eat. He was being treated in isolation for Gastro. Paed felt that the simptoms were insufficient to suggest an EEG to check for Epilepsy and on Tuesday evening my son began to eat again. We were released on Wednesday. My son in the days in hospital only had 4 dirty nappies, therefore I do not feel confident in the pead''s diagnosis of Gastro. My son has futher more a very weak immune system and has been ill every month this year where I have taken him to either GP or Paed for treatment. Each time he has been nebulised with Duolin and Pulmicort and not every time received antibiotics. He was also admitted to hospital in April for 3 days for treatment of RSV.

Please advise of what you think might be wrong. Should I insist on a 2nd opinion as I do not feel comfortable as he was screaming last night as if in pain when held in certain ways or if we lay him down flat. If curled up and supported by a pillow he was fine and his breathing was irregular all night. I also have to mention that his half-sister (father''s side) has epilepsy as well. She got her first fit when she was about 17 or 18 months old.

I really do suggest that you get a second opinion from a paediatrician. You should also consult a neurologist to explore if he has a form of epilepsy. I can not assist with a suggestion of over the counter medication that will relief his symptoms, as I really do think that he needs further assistance.

As a parent, I think that you know best and feedback will be appreciated after you have consulted another paediatrician and a neurologist.