Question
Posted by: Nikkits | 2008/07/02

What makes GAY - Be careful!!!

I think this validates a new threat/post

RE: What makes people gay?

Not sure I want to agree with the bottom line of this study.

I mean if it is not nature 100% then it can be "cured" or listed in the DSM (Diagnostic & Statistical Manual for MENTAL DISORDERS) …. !!

Any reference to “nurture” does not in my opinion, refer to homosexuality but more to bi sexuality or sexual “freedom” and once again make the CONDITION of being gay, all about sex and not about relationships. Having sex is a human behavior and we read about same-sex sexual abuse in prisons for example which does NOT make those doing it or receiving it gay, surely??

I want to suggest we are very careful not to be misled in this instance.

I would like to know how GLBTI organizations respond in an “official” capacity to this “STUDY”

We need to debate this seriously …

Nikkits

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Nikkits and as always thanks for posting.

There have been various such studies over the years, often based on twins, but this is the largest study in terms of sample size I'm aware of. It doesn't tell us anything new but does highlight a few finer nuances that some people will find interesting. As we all know data can be twisted and played with and taken out of context so let's watch and see how different sectors use this report to their own advantage.

My thoughts: There is absolutely no chance - none - of homosexuality being included as a pathology in the next edition of the DSM. Society has moved beyond that point. We should be more concerned about fundamentalist religious groups feeding homoprejudice than concern ourselves with mainstream psychiatry. Let's keep the discussion going Nikkits... your views?

4
Posted by: Apache_boy | 2008/07/03

Hey guys,

Well my 2c worth, i was told that being molested, i used it as an excuse for myself to deny my sexuality to myself. (If that makes sense to you, i know it does to me) So i was born gay... end of story...

Reply to Apache_boy
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2008/07/02

Now there is a point Des. Would be very interesting, but I think they might not like it when it points to some people being not so straight as they thought. LOL.

Point taken on what Nikkits say. Let's hear it. My opinion goes with the school which says 100% genetic or born that way. Regardless of what happened to me in my childhood (molestation, absent father and all those factors/theories), I was sexually attracted to men AND NOT WOMEN for as long as I can remember. Even before the other "factors" came into it. No, I was born gay.

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: Des | 2008/07/02

How about they do a study on what makes people straight?

Reply to Des
Posted by: Gareth | 2008/07/02

Nikkits, do agree with you here. I have stopped trying to understand exactly what makes people gay years ago, because it really doesn't matter. There has always been and will always be gay people. What makes people straight?
And yes, I wish they would stop assuming that having sex or wanting sex with someone from the same sex classifies you as gay. Nothing stops me to have sex with a woman, I have before and could probably do it easily. But that does NOT make me straight in any sense. Would be a nice debate to have - expert, is it not high time that we have a debate link on here again?

Reply to Gareth