Question
Posted by: astray | 2008/07/17

what it took for me to stop

Hi CS and all

I am a decent woman, decent salary - good looking but i am a Kleptomania - yes that' s correct. First I would spend my money on clothing from this one particular shop until i' d be broke - completely!!!!! Then i thought they didn' t even appreciate me then I started stealing - I thought if i buy one item then they should give me something for free, therefore I stole and stole. I started going there on a weekly basis, no longer buying but stealing, they wouldn' t suspect a thing because I was one of the best customers!!!! I stole even things that i didn' t need, you should see my underware, my clothes - it' s a lot, but No it was never enough!! I have been wanting to stop - but i could not as i felt that the sales people " created"  a moment for me to steal. They wouldn' t bother searching me or anything like that!!! not so long ago, I went to the shop bought a few items and when I decided to leave - something at the back of my head just said, look around and compensate yourself because you deserve it!!! I went back into the shop and stole an item - no one noticed - so i thought.... as i went outside of the shop not even having any worry whatsoever, the shop assistant called me - to see what was inside the packet - I FROZE, I WANTED TO DIE - I FREAKED OUT!! I insisted on going to the toilet and she let me (only because she was/is a good person) and she was hoping that she was wrong about me!!!! CS - as i came out she was with a security guard, and I confessed to her alone - she said i should pay for the item that i took - little did she know that there were other items that i was wearing that i had stolen!!!!!!!!!!! I gave her the money and my knees nearly gave up on me and I just- walked to my car - I JUST WANTED TO DIE OF HUMILIATION - when i got home I realised how lucky I am, as i would be sitting with a criminal record on my lap!!!!!!

But... the scary part is that I am not sure if I have stopped genuinely or will i wait for an opportunity to arise.... HELP!!!!!!!

For Pete's sake, see a good local therpiast, preferably of the CBT format, as soon as is practical, to start work on this. Wishing to stop isn't enough to stop a bad habit like this, but you cannindeed learn to behave differently.

1
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/07/17

thats hectic. CS she needs some advice fast. Good luck, i know you will get better.

Reply to almost mad