Posted by: Cathrine | 2011-05-17

What is wrong with me? PLS HELP!!

I desperately need your help/advice.
I am an overall healthy almost 40 year old but i feel 150 yrs old.
I could sleep at any given time, but my 8 hrs sleep i get every night is often interrupted by my 4 yr old daughter. I some times wake up to 3 times a night for her (when she stirs next to me, wants to go to the toilet, or wants tea). I dont know if this interrupted sleep contributes to why i am always tired or the fact that i am a single mom and life is just hectic.
Life is also very stressful as i am unemployed. I worry about bills that have to be paid and if i will be able to do that and support my child. I am currently temping but it is by now means a solution to my problem.
Something i am VERY concerned about is the fact that i cant always remember things. I started noticing this about 2.5 yrs ago already. Cant remember if i mailed someone, or faxed a document. Its short term memory loss. I will put something somewhere and forget where i''ve put it. Or i wont remember what happened in a movie and at work if i am dealing with a couple of clients at the same time and someone asks me if what the status is of one of them, i cant always remember, i need to check what my last corrospondence was with the client.
I feel stupid all of a sudden. I used to be SHARP now i doubt myself cuz i am so forgetful.
I used to be on cilift but had to go off them cuz i cant afford them now whilst i am not permanently employed. I suffer from depression and would classify it as the dysthimia type.
I dont have energy for anything. All i want to do is just sleep and not worry.
Please can you tell me what to do?? Is there anything i can take to improve this memory loss and why is this happening to me?
I think its more than just stress that is causing this. Its like my brain is not firing on all cylinders.

You are suffering from sleep deprivation illness, hence your constant tiredness, which in contributes to your depression. If you can not afford to consult a doctor or to use an antidepressant and vitamins, I suggest that you consult someone at your nearest clinic for treatment of your depression and blood tests, to exclude any additional underlying pathology contributing to your symptoms.

If it is possible to get some assistance with your child, so that you can get good rest, it will also be beneficial.

Refer to the following link regarding sleep deprivation illness:

Posted by: Fanie | 2011-05-18

Hi doc

Please advice whether the aloe wonderjuice Timjan will affect my perindopril erbumine 8 mg an atorvastatin 20 mg prescriptive medicine''s effectiveness. I do find the timjan very effective in assisting with occasional constipation.

Reply to Fanie
Posted by: Cathrine | 2011-05-17

Thanks for your reply Kay. I always thought i deal with stress rather well but i reckon that is why i am so forgetful, stressed and depressed! Yes you are right, we have gorgeous children to show for it and there is NOTHING i wouldnt do for my beautiful child. She is the reason i wake up in the morning.

I just feel so helpless. I have medical aid at the moment but i have to check if they cover the anti depressants and then i need a higher dose i reckon. I just want to feel better. I have discussed the memory loss with my GP and she says its because my life is so stressed (and that was when i HAD a job!!!!)
I agree life has just become insanely mad. I live in JHB and have to wake up at 5 to be at work at 8. Its crazy. I am so ready to move to a one horse town so we can have more quality of live but then i probs wont earn enough for us to live on!

Thanks for your advice, i am going to make an appointment to see my dr. Has your memory improved?

Reply to Cathrine
Posted by: Kay | 2011-05-17

Hello Cathrine. I feel for you and understand your symptoms. I am 34 and noticed this for some years too..mostly the forgetfulness...I am convinced it is the stress of life (some people do not handle pressures the way others do). A mothers job is never done, but we have beautiful children to show for it. I suffer extreme anxiety and this has me also having some big memory blanks - I cannot recall a lot either. I have a job I enjoy now but had to give up my bookkeeping position as I just cannot concentrate for too long. Please see a GP (or perhaps if you dont have medical aid) visit a govt hospital for treatment as their are treatment options availbe for depression and anxiety. We owe it to our children to also look after ourselves. God Bless. xxx

Reply to Kay