Question
Posted by: bi | 2009/11/16

WHAT IS WRONG? WHAT IS WRONG?

I' m bipolar adn an alcoholic. I went to rehab and was sober for 3 months. Things started looking up. Then I dran again, Friday I drank so much I smashed my car, lost my GPS charger and who the heck knows what else. Driving like a demon in rainy weather and drunk.

I want to stop. I have to stop. Alcohol is destroying my life. Although, I have trouble caring what happens and I think about suicide very often. BUT I have to get it right. 100%, 1000%, because I attempted it before and it didn' t work. I won' t have the whole"  attention-seeking"  label again.

People around me think I' m using the bipolar diagnosis as an excuse. I' m so tired of it. I want to stop drinking. What is wrong with me? I' m screwing up everything good in my life, but I find it a little difficult to care sometimes because I don' t think life in general has a purpose.
We sit in traffic day in and day out, we eat (some too little, some too much), we go to braais or distract ourselves with going on vacation, we work, we sleep. What is it all about?

I have to live because I will cause pain to those left behind if I commit suicide. Sometimes then I wish I would just die in an accident or something so they don' t think it' s suicide and maybe they don' t feel quite as bad.

Dammit.

I wish people would realize that a couple of weeks in rehab is utterly USELESS, unless the individual has decided not just to stop temporarily but to stay stopped, and unless there is a detailed follow-up plan to keep them involved with a counsellor and ongoing help.
And you need to see a good local psychiatrist for a fll assessment and help to stabilize the manic-depressive bipolar mood disorder ( with mood-stabilizing drugs, etc. ) and with consistent and ongoing psychological support. You can do this, with the right help, and remembering at all times your resolution to stop and say stopped

4
Posted by: JB | 2009/11/19

There is no better place than Alcoholics Anonymous. However, you must have the desire to stop drinking.

Being an alcoholic is not a disgrace. What you do when your are drunk is.

I am dry now for 5 years. I don' t look back. I had a life make-over.

Join you nearest branch. Read their book. You won' t be sorry.

Reply to JB
Posted by: trust | 2009/11/19

Trust me! You don' t want to commit suicide! Stop being so pathetic. It you want to party take a taxi or let a friend drive. And if you can' t afford that then invite people to your house. If you feel guilty then just stop dniknig. You have a brain think!

Reply to trust
Posted by: Boozer | 2009/11/16

Hi I have been dry for a number of years after many years of drinking heavily and getting into all sorts of trouble. I cannot advice you on the bi-polar, but I have some advice with the drinking. The only way to stop drinking is through the will to stop. Rehab only works if you want to let it work and decide to stop, otherwise you waste your own and other people’ s time and can just as well keep on drinking. You have to make a VERY CONSCIOUS decision to stop and then do it with or without help. All the best

Reply to Boozer