Posted by: Smiggi | 2009-09-02

What is wrong?

Hi Doctor,
I am worried as I have lost 11 Kgs in 4 months and I am constantly tired. I was on Eltroxin last year as I had an underactive thyroid and I had put on a severe amount of weight. I went off my medication in January as well as my my Wellbutrin and Epitec as we were trying to conceive. I am eating but I can' t eat all of my food. Roughly an hour after I have eaten I am hungry again. Please would you advise what this could be?

Dear Smiggi

There are many causes of severe weight loss, most commonly diabetes, thyroid abnormalities, severe depression, malabsorbtion. We also always screen for cancer in a patient that lost more than 5 kg in the previous 3 months. Please see your doctor for a good clinical evaluation, as some blood tests may be needed.

Not taking your thyroid medication when pregnant can cause developmental problems in your baby and lead to a low IQ with learning difficulties as you are the only source of thyroid hormone for the baby in the first 3 months of pregnancy. Thyroid abnormalities may also cause infertility in some patients.