Posted by: Lee | 2009-01-29

What is whey?

I' m interested in taking a protein supplement as I don' t get much protein in my diet. I don' t eat red meat and diary is an incompatible food for me. The ingredient list of these protein supplements can be confusing and I can' t figure out if they contain dairy! What is whey protein and is it dairy based at all?

Dear Lee
Whey is the watery substance obtained when full-cream milk is separated. If you are either lactose intolerant or suffer from a milk protein allergy you won't be able to use products that contain whey. You will have to use a soya protein supplement or add soya milk and soya products to your diet to boost your protein intake.

Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-01-29

If you struggle with milk\dairy just beware whey also made me puffy and bloated . . .and i had it with water.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: ss | 2009-01-29

It is also what Miss muffet ate :-)

Reply to ss
Posted by: Google | 2009-01-29

When the milk is being turned into cheese, the whey protein is a by-product.

Reply to Google