Question
Posted by: Anon for this | 2011/05/05

What is up with this doctor??

Dr Cindy Zietsman just prescribed metformin for my skinny brother (32) on a blood glucose of 5.6 and insulin of 13? she told him not to eat before the blood test, but didn''t mention that he also shouldn''t drink anything so he had the blood test after coffee with 3 sugars in. Then she had her secretary phone him and tell him he is prediabetic...the poor guy and my poor mom freaked out as he thought he was a diabetic. Luckily I spoke to the secretary myself and he will go for a second, truly fasting, test tomorrow morning. What is the criteria for prescribing metformin?

Dear Anon
According to my copy of MIMS, metformin is prescribed for non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus and/or insulin resistance, "when diet management and exercise, alone does not result in adequate glycaemic control." I think what happened to your brother was a case of crossed wires. He did not realise that he was not supposed to take anything by mouth (no food, no beverages) before his blood test, while the dr thought he had fasted and had high insulin and glucose levels. I hope that the second test will be more successful.

2
Posted by: Louis | 2011/05/06

I also went for a fasting test once and I knew I should not drink before hand. He should be old enough to know for himself if you cannot eat you probably should not drink esp sugar.

Reply to Louis

Dear Anon