Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2011/10/18

What is the difference between St John''s Wort and proper antidepressants such as Buspar?

Good Day CyberShrink

I would like to know whether St John''s Wort can be used for the kind of depression which expresses itself as (extreme) anxiety. I have suffered from this kind of depression since my teenage years (and have taken various drugs in the past, including Ativan, Lexotan, Etrafon, Prozac, Fluanxol, Buspar, Inderal and Trasicor to name a few.

At the moment, I am still taking Inderal LA 80 mg daily but have stopped taking all of the other drugs, most of which had severe side effects.

I have been told that my anxiety disorder MIGHT be a biochemical manifestation of the multiple sclerosis I suffer from. It is " free floating"  but severe (in my opinion) and it also causes me to suffer from chronic insomnia.

I am starting to go through the menopause and finding that my PMS is much worse than in the past.

To crown matters, my father passed away 10 days ago (very suddenly, in his sleep) and now I am feeling even more depressed and more anxious and cannot sleep at all.

Should I try St John''s Wort or will it be a waste of money?

Annelize

No. There is some evidence ( not an awful lot ) that St John's Wort can be useful for Depression ( not severe anxiety ) and only in MILD depression. It appears to work, chemically, in a way similar to the prozac family of antidepressants, but more weakly.
Inderal, a beta-blocker often helps reduce the physical components of anxiety, without necessarily helping the emotional / psychological aspects of it.
People with any chronic and troubling condition, including MS, may of course have every right to feel anxious, but I haven't heard of MS being a direct CAUSE of anxiety.
Neither ADs nor Wort will help grief, of course. But for all the conditions, CBT style counselling / psychotherapy can be really useful, and would surely be really worth trying.

1