Question
Posted by: Training | 2009-03-12

What is the correct food to eat?

I’ ve recently started training at the gym with the goal to loose some belly fat, build muscle and tone.

I’ m not overweight (65kg), male and 29. But do have a small belly developing that I want to get rid off.

I try and eat 6 meals a day, replacing the mid morning and mid afternoon meals with meal replacements. I also take a pure protein supplement after training at night.

My eating habits in the past used to be very poor and I want to know what the correct food is to eat for reaching my goals. Is it possible to somewhere get a daily meal plan that will show and guide me to what the correct foods are to eat?

Also, what supplements would you recommend to take in reaching my goal?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Great decision to improve your eating!

Eating the six meals is correct, however you have to firstly calculate your energy need for the weight you would want to be and in accordance with the amount of training (energy output) that you perform weekly. Only then do you divide that calorie amount into six meals with a ratio of 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats. Focus on eating only low GI carbs (rice & lentils, sweet potato, chickpeas, baked beans, other legumes, barley, rolled oats, & oatbran), lean meats (chicken without skin, ostrich, tuna/fish, turkey, pork fillet & venison) and 2/3 of your fat intake should be consumed as good fats (olive, olive oil, seeds, nuts & avos).

Recommendation is to take a meal replacement shake after training – it is imperative for refuelling. You need to include carbs at that time – the carbs stimulate an insulin response to shuttle the protein into the muscle to facilitate recovery and building.

Please visit the archives of questions that I have answered it will certainly support you in your endeavour to eat better and build more muscle.

Good luck and take care!
Vanessa

1
Posted by: Tes | 2009-03-13

Good on you for the meal replacements and protein shake. Just make sure the meal replacements aren' t high in kilojoules because that could be preventing you from losing weight. Maybe take the shake only once per day. and make your other snack something like a low fat yoghurt / lean biltong pieces / a fruit.

Google the LOW GI food list and try those. They keep your blood sugar levels stable, reducing hunger. Eg' s are 
all-bran flakes with low fat milk and raisins.
Low GI bread with marmite / peanut butter / tuna / salad / mozerrella cheese.
Grilled / steamed fish fillet with lots of roast-veggies and brown basmati rice / sweet potato or baby potatoes (not the big ones)
Stick to your wholewheat / wholegrain products instead of white. They keep your blood sugar constant.
Avoid sugar in your coffee and tea and only use low-fat or fatfree milk. Avoid any fizzy coldrink, even the diet-ones. Rather drink water. Don' t eat cheddar / gouda cheese = FAT! Keep fast foods down to a treat- once a month unless it' s healthy-Nandos.

Seeing as though you only have a little fat to lose and want to gain muscle mass, this should be easy for you and you should see results soon, if you stick to the plan.

Check out the LOW GI approach and avoid ' white'  foods and sugar and should be there in no time.
- Do you do any cardio at gym?
I read on a bodybuilding forum that if you do your weight-training first and then cardio (20 - 40mins), you shred more fat that way.... worth a try?

Hope this helps!
- Tes

Reply to Tes