Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2012/03/03

What is the biggest rsik

Dear Doc
My 5 year old has a severe oral tactile problem. It really has been like this since he was a baby. He has been to occupational therapy and I have tried EVERYTHING. He just cannot eat certain foods. He is my 3rd child and the other 2 have no fussiness. I dont offer him other food if he wont eat what we are eating, so I dont think I indulge his fussiness either. He dies not eat any form of vegtable, not soup/not dipped/not raw/not cooked/not with food or gravy. NIKS. He eats only apple and bananas. A typical day would look like this:
2 bowls of wholewheat pronutro with 2%milk and 2 tsp sugar every morning. School, a packet of cheddars and a yogurt. For Lunch 2 slices of bread with peanut butter/bovril/tomato sauce. Supper spagetti bolognaise/ eggs/ tiny bit of chicken if it is chicken. He does eat sausage. He will snack on an apple.
But nothing else..He also cannot take any meds - I have bought every single kiddies vitamin in every form and he cannot keep it in. Whe I have force fed him, he will start producing copious amounts of saliva and within 2 minutes vomit the food/vitamin/meds out.. I have since stopped forcing it, because I think he really, really cannot keep it in. He is generally a very gentle obedient child. He is healthy and seldom sick. he very seldom eats sweets or junk food. Not more than once a week and drinks only 1 cup of diluted juice. Can I stop worrying now? He is 104cm tall and weighs 17.2kgs. He is 5.

Dear BMJ
I can understand that your 5-year-old son and his reactions to food because of the oral tactile problem, are worrying. His height and weight seem to be normal so despite not eating vegetables and only eating 2 types of fruit, he seems to be growing normally. I am just worried that he may develop deficiencies of specific nutrients such as iron (which is found in meat, fish, poultry) and vitamin C (citrus fruits, berries, etc). Banana and apple are not rich sources of vitamin C per se. Because he has this problem of taking vitamin and mineral supplements, this may be a difficult hurdle to overcome. I don't know if you have ever considered consulting a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to firstly assess his growth, his present diet and to provide assistance with his eating problems? It may be a good idea to obtain some professional support as he grows older and will require higher nutrient intakes.
Holding thumbs for you and the lad

1

Dear BMJ
Holding thumbs for you and the lad