Question
Posted by: Leigh | 2008/09/23

What is Prolactin and why do i have it??

Hi there, I need someone to explain to me what Prolactin is. I was at the Gynae and I was diagnosed with a count of 39... I need to know what causes it, what the side effects are etc... I googled it and ended up getting something which tells me its caused by breast feeding (i don' t even have kids) and then it showed me a pic of cows udders...(does this mean i have mad cows disease??) Please help???

Dear Leigh

Every human being has the hormone Prolactin secreted by the pituitary gland. However if the level of Prolactin is 39 then this will indicate in your case the Prolactin level in your bloodstream is high. The most common cause of a raised Prolactin is an over secretion of this hormone by the pituitary gland. A persistently raised Prolactin level would caused fluid to be secreted out of the nipples and may also cause anovulation. There are very good medications available to suppress this hormone back to a normal level, your gynaecologist or general practitioner should be able to help you with this condition.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo