Posted by: Monica | 2009-07-16

What is my comeback strategy?

Ex fitness freak, stopped completely last October after some very upsetting events in my personal life. Ready to go back to gym in next few weeks. How shd I reintroduce my body to the process? I have done not one sit up in 9 months now.
When I say ex fitness freak, I mean I went to gym 6 days a week for 10 solid years, prior to stopping last year.
How shd my comeback program be structured? Ps - in the 9 months I somehow have gained no weight, I am just much softer. 35yr old woman, 1.68m, about 53.5kg. I had the fitness model look before and actually did more weights than cardio. Now I just look slender with a tiny bit of tone but I want the definition back. Its just I have never taken such a long break and am almost intimidated about going back

Hi Monica

The best advice I can give you is to find someone who is willing to train with you, who is starting out themselves. The biggest danger for you now is that your mind remembers what it used to feel like when you were very fit, but your body has forgotten. The result is that you'll overdo it, it is almost guaranteed because you'll naturally want to return to where you were! That happens to everyone. So, best thing you can do is find a friend who is starting out and doesn't have that same problem of "memory" and then 'use' them (in a nice way) to pace yourself back into action!

If you get that right, then within 2 months (and I really would give it this long), you'll be fit enough to start off where you left off last year. But I think it's vital that you spend 2 months just easing in - better to be patient now than injured by October!

I hope this helps, you'll find it comes back quickly, and you know what to do, so you know where you're headed. It's just a question of not trying to get there too fast!