Posted by: Kinnie | 2009-10-01

What is my chances?

I want to know wat is my chances in falling pregnant with IVF? I am 39 years old and we are currently trying for baby no. 2. I have a son of 2 who was conceived with IUI on the 3rd attempt, after the 2nd IUI ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks (was told it was a blighted ovum). We just did 4 IUI' s in a row without success and is on a short break before our next FS appointment in mid Desember. For all the IUI' s I was on the Fertomid 50mg, but for the last 3 the dosage was increased to 100mg and Ovidrell trigger. Also was put on Progynova for the last 3, as it seems the higher dosage of Fertomid thins my endometrial lining. Everytime I had between 2-6 good looking follicles. There don' t seem to be a problem on my side, but I know my age is becoming a big factor. My husband sperm analysis showed that he has low motilty (only 5%). I presume our FS would suggest trying IVF and your opinion would be apprectiated.

Dear Kinnie

IVF is certainly your next option of choice and I would not be surprised that embryo morphology problems are detected. Your history of a miscarriage and also repeated IUI failures may be suggestive of some underlying genetic factors playing up in the embryos. The use of IVF may help to select good quality embryos for implantation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim