Question
Posted by: THEMBI | 2010-09-22

WHAT IS IVF

What is IVF,can it help me to fall pregnant since we have tried for 3 years now?

Dear Thembi

In essence IVF is the fertilization of sperm and egg in a laboratory setting and is applicable to various circumstances, be it female factor or male factors. For further information I would recommend you access our fertility website at bioartfertility.co.za

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-09-30

Dear Thembi

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Trixsy | 2010-09-23

Hi Thembi.

IVF is In-Vitro-Fertilization.

What happens is the doc will put you onmeds to help you produce multiple eggs. The meds will be in the form of injections. You will be monitored closely so you will go to the doc for regular scans to see how many eggs are produced and also to monitor their size. When the eggs reach a certain size, you will need to have them removed from your ovaries. The procedure is simple. The eggs will then go through a sort of screening process to determine their quality for fertilization. The good eggs are kept and will be allowed to fertilize with your husband''s sperm. The ones that get fertilized are then monitored for another 2 days or so. The doc will advise you when to come in. They doc will then place the fertilized eggs in your uterus and you will need to wait for about 2 weeks to see if you are pregnant.

This is my simple explanation and I hope it helps.

It is very expensive and irrespective of which clinic you use, there are no 100 guarantees that you will be pregnant with the first cycle. It depends on your body. A friend and I go to the same clinic and I was succesful with the first cycle and she wasn''t.

As Zoe says, IVF may help you fall pregnant, but it is costly, however, you may be in the position to afford it. I would say go ahead then. But remember it will also depend on your condition and if you may need to attend to them before attempting IVF. It could aslo be a problem with your husband''s sperm and not necessarily be you. So it will take both of your efforts to get through IVF. Your husband will need to have his sperm analyzed. Some men need some convincing to do this. He must also be ready to provide sperm when the eggs need to be fertilized, so check with him if he will be comfortable with this, before visiting a fertility specialist.

Good luck my dear.

Reply to Trixsy
Posted by: ZOE | 2010-09-22

IVF WILL HELP YOU FALL PREGNANT BUT IT IS VERRY EXPENSIVE

Reply to ZOE