Question
Posted by: neline | 2008-11-03

what is it

broke up with my ex of more than for years a month ago. Every single time that i think of what happened and what he did causes me to get out of breath. I breath for a moment and than it just stops i than need to in a way gaps for air. What is it

Its anxiety, which affects us all slightly differently, but often with shortness of breath --- or we become unusually aware of our breathing in a way which is uncomfortable even though we're actually getting enough breath, and there can be other symptoms of anxiety --- such as a rapid pulse, sweatiness, or a trembling of one's hands. These are alarming symptoms to experience, and of course, if they alarm us, this makes them worse ! Just calm, down, though it feels dreadful, nothing awful will actuallty happen to you. If this persists, see a GP opr shrink, some meds could help calm you --- especially tablets called Beta Blockers which calm the body features of anxiety. And of course CBT counselling, also helps