Posted by: Soulless | 2009-07-29

What is happening to me

Greetings Mr CyberShrink.

I am 50 years old and feel that I have lost myself. Nothing major happend but this has been a gradual process. Married to a solid, hard working, home maker kind of husband (no romance though, but I knew what he was when I got married 26 years ago). I simply seem to exist, I go to work do my thing, come come, cook, iron etc. At the slightest cause of any disturbance to my routine, I cry. I feel utterly worthless. I am unable to talk to my hubby as he is a doer and he does not understand me. I even question his love and commitment to me, imagening him finding others more attractive. I am a Zombie yet I can sit at the Casino and zone out of life for hours. feeling nothing. I don' t think of tomorrow, have absolutely no plans for anything. In a way this saddens me as I wish each day away and yet I have nothing to show for it. My mind tells me that one day I will wake up and realize that I have wasted my life. I used to be passionate about so many things, but what happened where did it go. I take care of my mom who lives with us and this is VERY draining but it is my duty as she has lost her husband my dad and she is lonely and depressed as well as not being well herself. I don' t want to end up like that one day. What example am I setting for my children? Is there a way out of his dark black hole. (no medication please)

Thank you for your time in reading my dilemma

There could be various explanations for this unhappy state of afairs, including Depression or Dysthymia. Ideally, you should see a local psychiatrist for a full assessment and diagnosis, after which treatment options could be discussed, and could well include CBT counselling ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ). Good research has shown that CBT which improves your coping skills and other such skills in handling life, is as effective as medications, and with lasting benefits, and, of course, no side-effects. And unlike old-fashioned talking therapies, it works quite quickly and doesn't take very long.
This would help you to wake up as you wish to, and to resume enjoying a good sense of purpose in life.

Posted by: C | 2009-07-30

This might sound silly, but exercise does wonders for depression and feeling like a zombie. I was very depressed about six months ago, felt like I had no purpose, had no goals and nothing excited me. I started martial arts (at the age of 39) and I cannot tell you what difference it has made in my life. I feel great and the adrenaline is pumping. I think you just need to find something that excites you and makes you feel better about yourself (just not another man).

Reply to C
Posted by: gospel | 2009-07-29

Try Jesus out, he has many excellent referrals and an amazing reputation :)

(and eternal life is better than anything this world can offer!)

Reply to gospel