Question
Posted by: TLB | 2010/08/13

What is EMDR?

Hi, I have been advised that EMDR could be a good strategy for me to try and get over being an abused child in my very early teens by my father, my teacher and one of my mom''s boyfriends.

What is EMDR? Where do I find someone qualified for this??

OK, firstly, I strongly advise against treatment by any therapist with a very strong personal interest in possible long-term effects of earlier abuse - too many of them have their own bees in their bonnet, and their own axes to grind, and some use methods that make matters significantly worse.
I personally prefer CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) in many situations, including this one, because its wise to focus on your PRESENT situation and symptoms / problems, rather than in a major archeological dig back into your past.
EMDR is an option. It is a fairly new treatment called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. I knew the woman who developed the method, and some of her earliest associates, and they were good people.
It generally uses repetitive eye movements ( though other repetitive stimuli can be used ) while you concentrate on the negative and unhelpful thoughts that trouble you, to remove their power to be troublesome.
This explanation is of course necessarily an over-simplification try a website like http://www.emdr.com/briefdes.htm , and simply www. emdr.com, for more detailed information from the founding institute of this form of therapy.
Like CBT, it aims to stop bad habits of thought from troubling you any more, and to help you to form more useful reactions to past experiences.

1