What is causing this menstrual irregularity?

Good Day

I am almost 44 years old now.

At the beginning of the year I had two periods that both arrived 3 weeks late. My cycle was 7 weeks instead of 4 weeks in duration, which was extremely unusual for me.

On 15 April this year I had a period which appeared more than a week early, i.e. on day 20 of my cycle.

I had a Menopause Screen done, thinking that I must be going into the menopause. The results were as follows:

Oestradiol= 228
FSH = 14.8
LH = 5.3

I was assured that the above results were indicative that I am NOT in the peri-menopause and that everything is, in fact, NORMAL.

The GP went on to say that my menstrual irregularity is probably a side effect of the Interferon Beta (Betaferon injections) that I' ve started using for Multiple Sclerosis. Should I be concerned?

I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist. Any abnormal bleeding at your age needs further investigation.