Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-06-01

What is Barretts condition?

My partner has Barretts condition and all the information that I find on the web is just to confusing for me. Could you please put it in laymans terms.
Thx

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Sam
Barretts esophagitis is caused by acid that pushes up in the esophagus from the stomach due to the valve between the stomach and esophagus not closing properly. This usually causes burning of the lower part of the esophagus and the cells in the bottom part of the esophagus can then become abnormal, and eventually cause cancer. The acid pushes up because you have a hiatus hernia or a weak valve.
See http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Gulletoesophagus/Pre-cancerousconditions/Barrettsoesophagus
Treatment is antiacid medication like Nexiam longterm, or if he has a big hiatus hernia, they may consider operation to fix it.