Question
Posted by: Sello Hamase | 2010/10/20

what is anxiety

I have major problems at work, which could lead to dismisal. now i hate going to work, every morning when i have to go to work i experience fear, i feel dizzy and light headed, i become very short tempered and agitated, and very aggressive. is this anxiety. is it normal since i have these problems. i am currently seing a doctor for major dipression disoder since from 2007. i dont want to go to my doctor because i think he does not take me serious any more, it is like i have became a crying baby to him. please advice.

Well, if you have major work problems that could lead to dismissal, you're unlikely to look forward to going to work, but obviously yopu have to do so. If the problems relate to misunderstandings, its at work you might be able to explain these and perhaps sort things out. If the problems arise from your having actually done wrong, or having worked badly, then you need to be at work to sort things out, to show how well you can work, and to seek to put things right.
Don't see work as necessarily about enjoying it, though this can come back in time, but as opportunity to get things right.
The symptoms you describe sound like anxiety, and aparently you do have some things to feel anxious about, so this isn't necessarily something wrong with you - when you stand on a nail and your foot hurts, your foot is responding correctly and appropriately, its the nail-in-the-foot aspect than needs to be put right.
Then you mention a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder, apparently under treatment since 2007. If there has been genuine depression around that long, I hope this treatment has included a proper assessment by a real specialist psychiarist, and not only treatment by a GP, to be sure whether a depression is still present, and whether you are on the best treatment for you.
If you are only slightly upset and exaggerating that to claim a Depression, I suppose that might understandably annoy a shrink / doc, but if you have a real Depression, then it could be unprofessional for the doc to get annoyed at you, rather than working on finding the right combjination of treatments to help clear up the depression.
And if disciplinary proceedings or something like that are possible, it may be necessary to get a proper report from your psychiatrist, and it would be better if this was based on his being actively involved in your current treatment, rather than just called in at the last minute

1