Question
Posted by: salesman to be (earier nick was help) | 2012/01/17

what is a good salesman and where to learn?

Hi there cybershrink I wonder if yourself and the forum users could give their advise and thoughts on this one. I am into sales and would like to know what are the characteristics of a good salesman? Do you think anyone can learn to be a good salesperon? The reason I ask is because I see a great career for any person who can sell. Very lucratie and many benefits. My problem is I actually suffer from anxiety in social situations. I know thats not a good start but I do believe that by putting myself in difficult situations and facing the fear head on I can beat it. Is that the right way of looking at it? The sales guys always say ask alot of questions and find out the person''s need. Then fulfill that need with the product. haha. What if the product doesnt fulfil the persons need anyway? You see, a good salesperson will be able to make the person believe it will really be worthwhile. I find sales absolutely fascinating. Persuason and social psychology is so incredible! Cybershrink have yu read influence by robert cialdini? Do you know tom hopkins and brian tracy? What do you think of motivational speakers like anthony robbins? DO you think it is helpful or is it just moneymaking and just grabbing peoples emotions? Im desperately trying to earn a decent income and want to do this through sales. However I am battling, I am naturally shy and timid. Am I wasting my time? Im going to start doing toastmasters soon to improve on my communication skills and confidence. Im sure that will help. I really battle to study and dont know how Im just going to start studying sumthing at 28. How do people study without financia support, I mean we all need money to buy food as well dont we? This is where I would rally appreciate the advice from other users ofthe forum. Thx cybershrink

Think back on your own life experience - how many times did you meet someone who sold you something and made you feel really good about the purchase - how did they do that ? And think of people who tried to sell you something and failed, or so annoyed you that you didn't but from them - how did they do that ?
Some of the sales training guff doesn't work. If you can manage to sell something they really don't need, or which really doesn't meet their needs, that might be One sale, ONCE, and they may return it for a refund. But they will not come back to you or your company for anything else. Is that worth it ? That is NOT a good salesman.
I've usually been more convinced when a salesman listens to what I want, suggests more than one option, explaining them, and even explains why some options that might look attractive, would NOT meet my needs.
Counselling can help you combat social anxiety problems.
Motivational speakers are mainly quacks, and like what used to be said about a Chinese meal - very tasty, and half an hour later you're hungry again. They are performances, designed to give you false confidence, from people who are brilliant at selling only one product - themselves. I wouldn't buy an umbrella from Tony Robbins, even if it was raining at the time.
I hope other readers can respond helpfully

1