Posted by: Morgan | 2010-09-28

What is a good age for tonsills to be removed

My 2 year old son has very large tonsills, he has recurring tonsillitis and snores loudly. My peadiatrician recommended that I consult an ENT to consider removing them but wasn''t sure if he was too young still. What is a good age to remove tonsills? Is there any value to them or any danger in not removing them if they are large?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Morgan

Tonsils need removal if they cause problems, and this may differ from patient to patient. In a child with no problems, the tonsils may be beneficial up to the age of four years, but there are clear guidelines that require earlier removal. Your Paediatrician is clearly concerned, and in your son's case, the following indications are present, requiring earlier removal:
1. Recurrent tonsillitis (three to six episodes per year)
2. Persistent snoring

Large tonsils that cause problems need removal, as snoring for longer than six months is abnormal in children. This is an indication for a tonsillectomy, as the obstuctive breathing may have negative effects on the heart in the long run. Get an ENT opinion as suggested by your child's paediatrician.

Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010-09-30

Hi Morgan,

While you''re waiting for an answer from the ENT, just my experience: I was 29 when I had my tonsils removed (had chronic tonsil-probs all my life) but they can only remove it once you are healthy and who wants to remove a healthy child''s tonsils?

My ENT told me that they only need the tonsils until they are 3. My little girl had her tonsils removed today, she is 5 and it is sore, but will be better soon. For an adult it is much worse.

Hope it helps :)

Reply to Gesiggie