Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010/01/20

What impact does low Cortisol have on depression?

I am new to all this and still trying to figure out what went wrong... I had tests done 3 months ago and the Hematologist did bloodtest: Cortisol came out low (155) and ACTH was ordered but that was normal. Still I have low Cortisol.

I have a friend that is Bipolar and her Cortisol is 700. What effect will anti-depressants have on my already low Cortisol levels? should I ask the Shrink to look into this?

Thank you for this wonderful forum!

The inter-relationship between the various steroids and mood disorders, including but not limited to depression, is complex.
And interpreting results can only be done properly by the doc who ordered the tests, who knows all the intricate background ( or he should ! ) And remember, something like a cortisol level is dynamic, not static, and influenced by many different factors, so that anyone's cortisol level will depend in part on a variety of circumstances including their mood, stress levels, how and when in the day the sample was taken, and so on.

1