Question
Posted by: Rikki | 2011-01-19

What if you eat below the recommended calories

I have been on so many weightloss programmes as well as websites that calculate how many calories you should have per day via height, gender, weight and the amount of kilograms you wish to lose.
I was wondering if majority of them have suggested I eat in the region of 1200 - 1280 calories what would be the pros and cons of eating 650 calories a day?

Dear Rikki
This type of a semi-starvation diet would initially result in weightloss, but as your body registers that it is being starved it will start conserving energy and shut down its weightloss systems. In addition a diet that only contains 650 kcal/day will not be balanced and you will probably develop nutrient deficiencies and serious food cravings. Instead of counting calories, you basically need to change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-19

Dear Rikki
Take care