Question
Posted by: Cycling diet | 2011/09/26

What foods to eat when starting to cycle

I am a 35 year old male and my current weight is 118kg and I am 1.78m Tall.

My last Argus Cycle tour was in 2003. I took a long break from Cycling and decided to get back on teh saddle for fitness and health reasons. back then I was about 90kg.

What sort of diet would you recommend if I want to start exercise and hopefully loose 5kg''s per month which is about 5+ months to teh Argus cycle tour.

Many thx

Dear Cycling Diet
When you weighed 90 kg in 2003, your BMI was 28,5, which was probably made up of a predominance of muscle. Now your BMI = 37,2 which is very high, so it would be excellent if you could lose those 28 kg. Because this is a lot of weight to lose and you will also have to start making provision for your energy needs associated with training, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If you are in Cape Town you can contact the UCT Sports Science Institute and if you happen to live near Potchefstroom contact their Sports Nutrition Division for expert guidance so that you lose weight and gain muscle for the Argus. In the meanwhile, you can click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read the articles on diets for sportsmen and women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.
Good luck for your training and the weightloss.

1

Dear Cycling Diet