Posted by: Mon | 2009-07-15

What exactly do water rention pills do??

Doc, I hardly excerise but drink tons of water daily. Since I started drinking warm water I seem to have more cellulite. Is this cause by drinking 8 or more glasses of water? Should I drink water retention pills and what is it that they do?

Dear Mon
Diuretics are medications that cause the kidneys to excrete more water than they would normally do. If you are drinking more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day (this includes the 8 glasses of water = 2 litres, and all other drinks like cold drinks, tea, coffee, milk, fruit juice, etc) then you may be suffering from water intoxication. Although drinking water is good, drinking too much (more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day), can be dangerous because the excess water intake can cause electrolyte imbalances (losses of important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium), which can in turn cause water retention, potassium depletion and even be fatal. So if you are having more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day (and I suspect you may well be), then Please reduce your total liquid intake to 2,5 litres a day. This should improve the situation. If you are still showing signs of puffiness (for example if your legs swell up) then do see your dr for a checkup. The dr may prescribe diuretics and/or potassium and/or magnesium supplements.
Take care