Posted by: Lance Armstrong wannabe | 2011-02-18

What drink to use

There has been so much debate around what drink to use whilst cycling ! I have tried numerous brands over the years and can honestly say that I cannot find one that is any better than the rest.
These days I simply use Energade for the rides up to 3 hours or so.For the longer rides I have started using USN Epic.
Would you say that this is suitable or should I be using something different/better ? I might add that I have a tendancy to cramp quite easily.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Lance-Wannabe

The role of an endurance drink is to provide fuel to the exercising muscle in the form of a easily digested and absorbed carbohydrate such as glucose, sucrose, glucose polymers etc. The concentrations for all endurance 'sports' drinks should be between 6 to 8 % carbohydrate. This is to provide maximal amounts of carbohydrate without causing stomach discomfort. Thus most sports drinks provide very mcuh the same form and concentration of carbohydrate. Sodium and potssium are also important given the loss of these electrolytes in sweat. However, additional ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, branched chain amino acids, herbal extracts etc do not appear to play a significant role during exercise. Individual athletes need to experiment with different drinks to determine which drink they find works best for them provided the drink is providing 6-8% carbohydrate.

Are you using Epic Pro? this may be better for recovery than during exercise given the protein carbohydrate ratio.

Cramping may be a result of dehdration , inadequate carbohydraet consumption, significant sweat and electrolyte losses etc but there does not appear to be one definate cause to cramping.