Question
Posted by: Stressing | 2011/09/08

What does it mean if my period starts getting heavy on Day-7?

Hi GynaeDoc

My periods were always short when I was young, but now that I am in my late forties they last longer even though the total flow is not heavy at all.

What concerns me, however, is that they sometimes start getting heavier on day 7 (it is like it gushes out when I pass urine, and I see clots). Surely this sudden increase in heaviness shouldn''t be happening on Day 7.

For the past year or so, my periods have been very irregular (usually very delayed).

Is this just normal menopause, or should I be concerned?

It could be menopause, but it could also be problems related to the uterus. You should have a gynae check-up.

1