Posted by: Wife | 2009-01-23

What do you think Anxiety

I think I have come up with a really good idea (well I think so)
Hubby is suffering from anxiety. He is doing cognitive therapy.His fear of the next attack triggers off the next attack.

I want to : Go out and buy a really good vitamin pill, put it in another container, and tell him that these tablets are the latest break through and will stop his anxiety attacks immediately.

If his problem is in his head, then he will believe that he will not have another attack, therefore the next one will niot be triggered,
He will carry on with the cognitive therapy too.

Well what do you think?
Could this help him?

Its not as easy as that, and cognitive therapy is the best treatment he could have. You're thinking of a placebo response --- and indeed most people respond to some extent to a chemically inactive pill, with a range of symptoms. But i would not be the best way to handle his problem now, especially as he is already receiving excellent treatment from an expert.

Posted by: Cymbalta | 2009-01-26

I am on 60mg Cymbalta the drug that finally keeps my panic attacks at bay - 43 year old female. Its no joke, you feel like you are dying. I was rushed to hospital several times, had lots of tests including a brain scan.

i would howevr like to point out that I thik medication is the answer. Therapy helps that far only, been there and done it.

Also, its very hard ont he family and your partner i.e. you. You may need therapy yourself. My 10 year relationship just went down the drain because he doesn t understand it and hates any medictation.

Its really really hard and I am professional who never ever thought it could happen to me.

Reply to Cymbalta
Posted by: Um | 2009-01-23

Please don' t take offense to my reply, but that' s the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. You can try that with someone who is a hypocondriac, but it most definitely will not work for someone who suffers from anxiety attacks, which are very real. Maybe you should let go of the idea that it' s all in his head and that anxiety is something one can just ' get over' , and try to understand his condition. I suffer from anxiety myself, and believe me it' s frustrating as hell and even more so when you have a spouse who thinks it' s all in your mind.

Reply to Um
Posted by: Wife | 2009-01-23

Yes, I suppose you are correct. I just see how frustrated he gets and want soo much to help him.

Reply to Wife
Posted by: Little Miss | 2009-01-23

I think it' s a great concept (in theory) but it would probably backfire. Can you imagine how cheated he would feel if he knew you fooled him into taking fake tablets that were supposed to help a very real problem of his?

Reply to Little Miss