Question

What do I eat after a workout?

All my exercise sessions are at 7pm. I do Zumba and Bootcamp sessions twice a week. I have supper about 2hrs before my workout. Should I eat anything after my workout?

Hi Anon

Yes, probably important to replace some energy, if only because it will assist in recovery. There's pretty good evidence that the meal after training goes a long way to assisting recovery and if you DON'T recover, then you're at risk of overtraining, illness etc. So it's good to aim for some kind of energy replacement. Obviously, the time of day makes it difficult to have a full meal, and so you'll have to look at a larger meal earlier in the day, with a snack after.

The best way obviously to tackle diet is to see a dietician, who can advise on the specifics of what to eat, and when. Failing this, sensible eating, carbs and pretein after training is best for recovery.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/05/12

Hi Anon

Reply to fitnessdoc