Question
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/02/15

What do I do now?

I am an alcoholic. Addicted to prescription tablets. Head-ache tablets. I had my final warning at work a while ago due to absenteeism. I moved over the weekend to a friends place and she has talked me into going to AA. I came clean with my boss this morning and told him about my alcohol addiction. I try to justify this by saying I" m not a bad alcoholic, ie. I don' t drink at work or slip out at lunch time for a drink, but I drank everynight. Will going to the AA help as I am desperate now for help. I have high blodd pressure, blood sugar not whats its supposed to be, but drinking makes me feel better. My kids hate it when I drink, I' ve had a very bad car accident because of it, but still I do it. Now sitting here at work typing this I feel like a glass of wine. I suffer from severe depression and don' t feel that anyone can help me. I don' t have the strength to help myself. I' ve tried praying but it nothing is working. I don' t know where to turn now.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Jordan

It is clear that your alcoholism has reached an acute stage. You've had a warning at work, your kids hate it when you drink, you are depressed, you've had a car accident, your health is starting to suffer...

How many more signs do you need to take action? Yet your denial is such that you can still claim that you're not such a bad alcoholic because you don't feel like a lunchtime drink. Huh?

But later in your letter you write that you feel like a glass of wine while you're typing. Let's cut through the niceties here.

If you don't stop drinking and start attending your AA meetings on a regular basis, things will take a turn for the worse.

You WILL lose your job. Your kids will turn on you. Your health will give in. If you continue getting drunk and driving, you might kill someone. Perhaps the mother of a family. How will you live with that? Despite knowing this, you continue drinking.

Jordan, it's timer to clear the decks as the old saying goes and start afresh. Go to as many AA meetings as possible, even if you have to do two a day.

You can also contact us to find out more about kick-starting your recovery ASAP. Contact Ruby on Tel: 021 790 7779.

Email her on: ruby@harmonyclinic.co.za

Best of luck and we look forward to hearing from you.

3
Posted by: Recovering Alcoholic | 2010/02/15

Hi there, you have taken the first step by admitting that you have a problem. I agree with the first posting, try get to an AA meeting today still. I' ve been around the rooms for 15 months (not that long), if you can tell me what area you are in, I can try and help with a meeting. When there, don' t compare, rather identify. You might find it confusing at first, but you will soon find that you can relate in some way or another. A.A. does work, if you work it, so work it, you are worth it!!!! I wish you all the best.

Reply to Recovering Alcoholic
Posted by: Harmony Clinic | 2010/02/15

Greetings

We will get back you ASAP. In the meantime try and get to an AA meeting today.

Reply to Harmony Clinic
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/02/15

Hello Jordan

Email her on: ruby@harmonyclinic.co.za

Reply to Addictions expert forum