Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/28

What could cause this?

Hello Dr Bets, sorry, I have a question again. Something funny is happening again. On saturday evening at the movies, I just suddenly got this feeling again... I dont know how to describe it, but it feels like I am going to pass out, extremely lightheaded and a bit dizzy. I once before had something similar and immediately went to hospital (that time was a bit worse and I also went yellow). They booked me into cardiac ICU with arrythmia/vertigo. That time my HR went slow, but not under 40 (not sure how high it went). They discharged me the next day (it was Dec 2007). They did not give me medicine or anything. So this time, I did not want to go back to hospital. So I thought maybe if I eat something it will go away. (Beginning of the movie I had popcorn and water). So I thought maybe its sugar or something, so I ate an astro - after eating one I was extremely nauseous. I tried to feel my pulse, and it kindoff felt very fast at times and very slow at times (but I could not check with a watch cause it was dark in the movies). It got better after a while. I felt the whole evening lightheaded. Next day I was better... but every now and then I get very lightheaded, especially when Iying down... Dr do you know what could be causing this? What should I do about it? Thanks very much Dr!

Hi Ruby
It could be a passing arrythmia that causes this. If this happens again and you feel that your pulse is very irregular, try holding your breath for a few seconds to see if this will stop the irregularity.