Posted by: amber | 2010-05-31

What contraception to use on TB pills?

I was diagnosed with lung TB 1 month ago and on treatment now. I was using the pill before I went on TB treatment but stopped it since I was told that it is ineffective while I''m on treatment and that I should rather use condoms. My boyfriend and I have been using condoms now, but I was wondering if there isn''t some other contraception that will be effective while I''m using the TB pills?

My boyfriend and I are in a comitted relationship for almost 2 years now, we know we''re both HIV negative. It''s difficult for us both to start using condoms again for 6 months until my treatment is finished, because we''ve been used to not using it for so long. I was thinking about the patch or the injection, but I just want to know is it just the pill that won''t work with the TB treatment or will the others also not work. I''m very scared to fall pregnant, and I want something reliable. Also if I can''t use anything else than condoms, will condoms be enough to prevent me falling pregnant? Thank you

The injection will not be affected by the TB treatment.