Question
Posted by: worried | 2010/11/04

what complications can I expect with a adopting a baby who''s birthmom used TIK?

There is a lady that wants to give her baby up for adoption,once he''''s born. She uses TIK on and off.
What are the complications the baby will have to live with once it''''s born?
Before I adopt,I''''d first like to know what I might have to deal with.

Much depends on what she has been taking ( illicit drugs are often badly made and contaminated mixtures ) , how much, how often, and at what stages of the pregnancy. And what other substances may have been abused, including dagga and alcohol.
Purple's comments sound about right.
Best to arrange for a paediatrician with experience in this field to assess the child after birth, to get a realistic assessment of the impact this make have had

5
Posted by: worried | 2010/11/07

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to worried
Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/05

The physical effects on baby will depend at what stage in the first trimester she took the tik.
The same wth the brain development effects, though the brain is developing through the whole pregnancy, not just the first trimester.

Baby might have withdrawl symptoms when born, so would cry a lot and feel awful. Probably be underweight with associated problems like breathing problems, could be born premature, probably have developmental delays.

The western cape has a big problem wtih people using Tik, so if you can find any research done in that province, its probably the most accurate.

Reply to Purple

Purple's comments sound about right.

Posted by: Maria | 2010/11/04

Please consult a paedatrician.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: . | 2010/11/04

try searching the internet for impact of tik/meth on developing unborn children. first thing needed is to ensure the mother immediately STOPS using all mind altering substances including alcohol to limit any further damage.

Reply to .