Question
Posted by: Keen | 2010/03/17

What causes homosexuality?

Hi doc

I just want to know, from a scientifc point of view, what causes homosexuality. Is in genetic in nature of caused by circumstances? I''m asking as a gay man that is just sick of my religious colleagues who criticize me about my orientation, but cannot give me a ''cure'' per se when I ask them. I''m Christian and I''ve been through all the prayers and " deliverance'' session to address this " problem"  but after all these years I''m having to accept this is who I am. I cannot change. Everything in my life is ruined because of the religious zealots who wanted to " treat"  me for my " condition" . Now I have nothing left...no friends (they just stayed friends when if wanted to be straight)...no partner...ruined my career and relationship with my family.

I don''t want religious viewpoints from readers please - I''m sick of it. If you can''t help me then keep quiet.

It is clearly genetic, and doesn't seem so much influenced by environment as people think. Kids from genetically straight parents, for instance, when adopted by a gay couple with mainly gay friends, are no more likely to turn out to be gay than anyone else's kids.
Some decades ago, official psychiatry concluded that homosexuality, like heterosexuality is part of who you are, not a disease or disorder that for whatever reason becomes imposed onto whoever you are.
The sort of religious zealots you describe seem to totally lack the basic human charity and love for other humans which most religions expect from sincere adherents. Duisregard them - they are often so twisted up with their own off sexual ideas, as to be cruel and damaging to others, and the "therapies" they offer treat their own inner itches, and not any problems you might have

5
Posted by: Loeloe | 2010/03/24

To LP. Do you know what the programme was called? I would like to record it if it''s on again later in the month.

Reply to Loeloe
Posted by: LP | 2010/03/17

dstv channel had a long thing about it this weekend. it came down to genes as well as stuff happening in the womb.

Reply to LP
Posted by: John | 2010/03/17

Hi Keen,

Please ignore people like Anon. I am a heterosexual male with a fascination for all things evolutionary.

One of the things that I found interesting about homosexuality  the MOST IMPORTANT thing for all humans are survival and secondly passing on our genes.

Looking at the I can''t see where homosexuality fits in, what is the cause of homosexuality, what benefits are there ?

A few of the answers I have found while researching the topic:
- Homosexuality helps with population control.
- In a recent study it has been found that siblings of homosexual males have more offspring than that of others.

Christians are the worst of the lot. Go read Leviticus, its the book in the bible that condemns homosexuality and a bunch of other stuff. Christians all the other commands in Leviticus and the ONLY ONE they follow is the one that fits with their prejudice.

Reply to John
Posted by: anon | 2010/03/17

Sin

Reply to anon